Friday, June 8, 2007

- Fear and Loathing in Louisiana

So first off, good ole Ambulance Driver was kind enough to toss me a link in his blog, so for all you guys swinging by to check me out, I appreciate it. Welcome, there's beer in the fridge and snacks on the coffee table.

Anyway....sniff sniff....You smell that aroma? That's the scent of fear and crushed spirit, the unmistakable scent you smell around brand new paramedics that have only recently been cut loose. I'm so excited! I'm so scared!

So I started my company's clearance process two days ago. The experience has been....humbling. Really humbling. For all the times I've been exasperated to open the back doors to find The Gimp or another medic bumbling around with an IV or with hardly anything done, I apologize. I have discovered it's a lot more difficult then it looks.

The sweet feeling of excitement and terror that creeps into my veins is like a drug. After a call yesterday, my preceptor told me my eyes were huge and I had a manic smile on my face. I get so excited in the back that when we arrive at the hospital I'm a sweaty nervous wreck. My pupils actually dilate. I haven't killed any one yet, and my preceptor says that I improved exponentially in between Day 1 and Day 2, but I still pour half a gallon of water out of gloves when I take them off to give my report. I'm seriously considering getting those orange arm floaties for my patients in case I sweat so much in the back that it fills up completely.

Don't know where I'm going to sit the lifeguard, though.

Anyway, I'll probably fire off a few posts this weekend, including my commentary on Tasers, the weirdest call I've ever run, and an endorsement for my patrol boots. Stay Tuned!

-MM

3 comments:

Blue Ridge Medic said...

I know what you mean. Mine starts next week, as soon as all the paperwork is done. I am excited about it finally getting here, its been a long road, but I am terrified as well. Good luck.

Regards,
BRM

U.P. Medic said...

That aroma you are talking about is quite familiar. I have 4 new medics coming in to start their fieldwork as fully licensed medics. Just so you know, that feeling you are getting never really goes away, you can just hide it a lot better as the years go by. Good luck and trust your training, and instincts.

Loving Annie said...

Hmmmmmmm. Interesting post ! Glad I came by to visit, once being referred by Ambulance Driver -- and once from Respiratory Therapy 101 !

I'm gonna go read more of your posts now that I've found you !

Happy Saturday !