Tuesday, July 24, 2007

- Hitting Home

A few minutes after I updated yesterday I got a phone call about one of my friends from high school. Apparently a large group was hanging out at a local river canoing, drinking, and having fun. He was on top of a sand bar and dived into the water. The water was only 3 feet deep. He fractured his C5 and C6. They airlifted him to a hospital in town and they're waiting for the swelling to go down so that they can do surgery. The good news is that he's breathing on his own...and that's about it. I haven't passed by the hospital yet.

I see this sort of thing routinely, and I've always wondered why people get so panicked when a loved one is injured, when if you just keep a cool head and hold it together you can get things accomplished. It's arrogant of me to say so but I've always prided myself on being the eye of the hurricane in an emergency.

Now I know why people get panicked. Now I know why people fall apart. Now I know why some medics work far away from their area so they don't have to see someone they know. To be honest with you, it scares the shit out of me to think I might have to pick up one of my friends who've been seriously hurt. But I'd rather it be me. I trust myself enough to take care of one of my friends, and not many others.

I'm just hoping he pulls through right now.

-MM

3 comments:

JeRRTep said...

I am sooooo very sorry! that's so awful!

keep us updated!
will be thinkin about ya!
kT

Loving Annie said...

I hope he pulls through too, MedicMarch.
It's easy to be detached and cooly professional when it is someone you don't know.
It is much harder when it is someone you are close to and worry for.
But as you said, better you with your knowledge/level of caring than a stranger on the scene who may not have it.

pixie.dust said...

That's a shame ... is he doing any better?