Sunday, August 24, 2008

- A Love Song for Izz

First off, a bit of blog maintainin'-cleared some deadwood from the links column that were no longer active or deleted (relax, AD, you're still number one, on my blog and in my heart).

I haven't really posted about my new partner, Izzy - afraid I'd jinx myself, and they'd stick me with some mouth-breather with no sense of humor or personal hygiene. All good things come to an end, however, and she's leaving me anyway, to go back to finish school.

It's been an unusual experience for me, not having to worry about WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING doing while I'm trying to provide patient care. I know that sounds pretty stuck-up and egotistical, maybe even para-godish, if you will-that I can't trust someone else to function without micromanaging them- but I've seemed to have been paired with a string of idiots who barely know their way around a stethoscope and apparently think that the best way to operate the ambulance is to hit every pothole on the way to the hospital. I thought maybe, after one particular string of stupid, that maybe my standards were too high or that I expected too much from someone barely making 10.00/hr. I consider myself a patient person, and after crappy partner #3 resolved I needed to take more of a coaching approach. Cause, maybe it is possible I'm overly hard to please.

Then I got Izzy.

I was worried initially, because she was BRAND NEW to the company and to EMS in general. I had formulated plans based on my past experience of what we were going to work on. Imagine my sup rise when she showed up on the first day on time and knocked out her inventory, and then came to me what we needed and we were missing. I know that sounds like, Hey March, the only reason you like it is because she's stroking your ego, but I mean, shit. Us not having a stair chair is shit that I need to know, son.

Let me Tell you:

She drives like magic - unless it's 4 AM and we've been getting our asses kicked, then she can be a little rough, but shit, so am I -

She does her inventory.

She learns from call to call and anticipates what I'm going to ask for. Or, when I give a string of orders, does them quickly and efficiently.

She bought me lunch a couple of times.

She has no fear or hesitation - if I ask her to stick her hand in something gross, or do something that involves nastiness, she ovaries up and fucking handles it. No pause, no bullshit. I know I can count on her to handle her bidness when the shit hits the fan.

She asks questions.

She has a sense of humor.

She's not afraid to call me on my shit.

She can actually lift (she's maybe 5'7 or '8 and weighs like 115? If that much? She's tough!).

She handles all the mundane shit most people don't think about when they get into EMS - station duties, washing the truck, etc - with the same enthusiasm of running an emergency call.

I think that last one says it all - that's the hurdle, I think, for a lot of new employees - when they realize it ain't all cardiac arrests and catching babies, that 90 percent of our call volume is routine bullshit. That we have to wash and clean and be maids in addition to being lifesavers and heartbreakers.

Yeah, it doesn't hurt that she can handle her beer like a pro, either.


But, like I said, all good things come to an end. So tomorrow when I show up to work, she will be reporting to class. As I'm tucking in a dialysis patient, she will be studying the microbiology of organisms. As I run a code she will be running from one class to the next. As I return from yet another BS call she will be doing homework.


So Izzy, my hat's off to you. It's been an incredible two months and I wish you luck in your future endeavors. You've restored my faith in new people to the company, and you've taught me a lot about myself. I'm going to miss you.

-MM

8 comments:

Ambulance Driver said...

Let's swap - Izz for BP.

Whaddaya say?

Loving Annie said...

MM,
And you didn't ask her to marry you ???

and I'm only nice-girl blogging it now...

rookie bebe said...

MM, you need to marry this girl!

Medicmarch. said...

AD - Good One.

Annie and Bebe - Yah, I know right? But it seems her boyfriend was interested in taking her up in ONE of his planeS. Then, the next weekend? After he got back from Alaska they were going to go on his yacht.

I swear to god.

-MM

Loving Annie said...

sigh... Bummer.
Maybe she has a sister ?

chris in se tx said...

Never mind if SHE has a sister. Does her BOYFRIEND have a sister????

Or, does he need a friend? A drinking buddy? Someone to "watch" his yacht?

elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
elizabeth said...

oh c'mon march... it wasn't all rainbows and skittles. although we did/do have our fair share of fun.

i fly like paper, get high like planes...

oh, and ps. he's not my boyfriend... just a male acquaintance

Geaux Tigers!