Tuesday, September 23, 2008

- Compelete and Total Humiliation

So whenever I got myself cleaned up last year something I started doing was running 2 miles every day. I actually dropped about 20 pounds over the course of 7 weeks. It felt pretty good but once I came back down and started back to work I slacked off - 10 hours a day, 5 days a week ambulance shifts wore me down pretty well. I had joined up with at a Snap Fitness before I moved to my new house 3 weeks ago and haven't made the time yet to rejoin somewhere yet - but when I was a member I did go - sometimes even at 3 in the morning, if you'll believe that.

I've was watching the Olympics during the triathlon - it looked rough, but I said - man, I could do that. I could DO THAT.

So As it happens they're having a triathlon at the end of October.

Coincidence?

That means I've got about 5 weeks to get in shape for a 400m Swim, a 9 mile bike ride, and a 3 mile run.

I'm pretty sure I can run it out of sheer tenacity and cussed-ness, but I still need to do a little prep work, otherwise I'm going to cramp out. So at the end of the week it's back into the gym. I've got great legs and used to be on the swim team, so I'm not going to sweat the swim much and put sometime in on the bike. I need to be able to run at least 4 miles on the treadmill before I enter so it's going to take some ass-busting.

I'm sitting with Izzy one day. "Oh, wow. A triathlon? I was training for one of those once."

"Really? How was it?

"Oh, March, it's not fun. I didn't smile once the whole time."

"Fuck. Thanks for those words of support."

-MM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Triathlons are fun. Even if you suck at them, they are fun. Just go join team in training, raise some money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, a good cause, and learn how to do it. Usually a great group of people, you learn everything you need to know to do a tri, and you do some more good in the world. I did a sprint last year 400m swim, 12 mile bike, 5k run. I did an olympic with them this year, 1 mile swim, 25 mile bike ride, 10k run. Be a whore for NIke, and just do it.