Thursday, September 23, 2010

- Medals

I am not in the line of fire, although most shifts I encounter life-ending contagious diseases. I am not a hero, but most shifts I help save a life. I'm not a rich man, but I help enrich lives. I'm not a counselor, but I've comforted more grieving family members then some psychiatrists.

I'm not much. I'm two years of crunch medical training inside a delicate fleshbag that's as susceptible to the trauma of everyday life as anyone else.

I don't have a gun or handcuffs.

I don't have flame retardant clothing or a breathing apparatus.

All I have is a stethoscope, a bag of salt water enhanced with chemistry, and my own assessment skills to keep me ahead of the game and to help save your ass.

I don't wear my medals. I don't take them. I'm doing my job.

I am a medic.

And I am proud.

-MM

5 comments:

blueeyedtawni said...

this is awesome! true words!

Nathan Strange said...

Hallelujah. Me too, man, me too.

Anonymous said...

awesome.

Internal Optimist said...

Good on you MM. Keep up the good work. :)

Heavy Weapons Guy said...

I love dis doktor!